Photography & Desserts by Sasha Ewing
75g cold unsalted butter
150g plain flour, sifted
1 egg yolk
2 tbsp icing sugar
1/2 tsp salt
250g dark chocolate
100g unsalted butter
150ml double cream
80g caster sugar
1. To make the pastry, in a food processor combine the flour, sugar and salt. Pulse to combine. Add the chopped butter and process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and enough cold water until the mixture forms a ball in the processor. Flatten into a disc shap, wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 min.
2. Preheat oven to 170 degree. Grease 8 3-inch tart cases. Flour a clean surface, roll out pastry to 3-4mm thickness. Using a cookie cutter, cut circles to fit tart shells. Carefully press pastry into shells, prick with a fork and place in fridge for 30 min.
3. Cover pastry with foil or baking paper and baking beans and bake blind for 12 min. Remove paper and weights, brush shells with some beaten egg and bake for a further 2-3min to crisp the pastry.
4. To make the filling, place the chocolate, butter and cream in a bowl. Place the bowl over a pan of boiling water on low heat. Stir gently until the chocolate has melted. In another bowl using an electric mixer or whisk, beat the egg whites until fluffy, add the sugar and beat again until mixture is very thick. Gently pour in the chocolate mix and fold through until just combined.
5. Turn oven down to 150 degrees. Fill tarts leaving 2mm at the top of each shell. Bake for 15-20 min is just set. Allow to cool and decorate as desired.