Photography & Desserts by Sasha Ewing
CARROT CUPCAKES WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen
2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
2 cups white sugar
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
4 large eggs
3 cups grated/blended carrots
450g cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line two cupcake tins with paper liners.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger, and whisk together. In another bowl, whisk together the oil and sugar until combined. Add the eggs in intervals, whisking to combine between each addition. Fold in the carrots, and then add the dry ingredients to the wet. Mix gently mix until combined.
3. Spoon mixture into lined muffin tins, until each cup is about 3/4 full. Bake for 15-20 minutes on the middle rack, until a toothpick entered into the center of the cakes comes out clean. Let cool in pans for a few minutes, then remove from tins and cool completely on a baking rack before icing.
4. To make the frosting, in a stand mixer, combine the cream cheese and butter, and beat on medium high speed until smooth. Add the vanilla and mix until combined. Gradually add the icing sugar, and beat until light and fluffy.
5. Pipe onto cupcakes and decorate as desired.